New FDM Material : Nylon 12 Now available for Fortus 3D Production Systems
FDM® Nylon 12 is the first material in Stratasys’ new family of nylon offerings, complementing the current portfolio of FDM materials and enabling new applications requiring: repetitive snap fits, high fatigue resistance, strong chemical resistance and press (friction) fit inserts. Nylon 12 is primarily used in aerospace, automotive and consumer goods industries to take on everything from tooling, jigs and fixtures to covers, panels and vibration resistant components. For use with Fortus® 360mc, 400mc & 900mc 3D Production Systems, FDM Nylon 12 offers unparalleled toughness and a simple, clean process – free of powders.
*Conditioned = Test specimens are conditioned according to procedure A of ASTM D618 (40 hours @ 23C and 50% relative humidity) **Unconditioned (Dry) = As printed (No soluble support removal)
With a lower concentration of amides (nitrogen-containing organic compounds) than any other commercially available polyamide, Nylon 12’s material characteristics make it beneficial in the following ways:
- It absorbs very little moisture, which allows components made from Nylon 12 to retain a high degree of dimensional stability, even in environments with fluctuating humidity levels. Even when temperatures dip below freezing, Nylon 12 retains excellent impact and non-impact strength.
- It features excellent resistance to chemicals, including hydraulic fluids, oil, fuels, grease, salt water and solvents.
- Nylon 12 has exceptionally strong resistance to cracking under stress, including instances when it encapsulates metal components.
- It provides excellent resistance to abrasion.
- When it is dry run against steel, polyacetal, polybutylene terephthalate (PBT) and other material, Nylon 12 has a very low coefficient of friction.
- It dampens noise and vibration.
- Even when placed under high-frequency cyclical load, Nylon 12 remains incredibly fatigue resistant.
- It is highly processable.
Click Here to learn more about Nylon 12.